Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Movie review, solemn warning...

Last night, on my date... I went to the library... alone.
Then I went to see Facing the Giants. I gotta tell you, in the interest of full disclosure... I was expecting a stinker.
(shocked expressions all around) Well, come on! When is the last time you saw a Christian movie that didn't make you kinda cringe inside? The writing, the acting... the computer animated Lake of Fire complete with cartoony devil type character.... If you are feeling stunned and thinking about how much you LOVED Megiddo, I'm sorry. I got nothing for you here.

But anyhoo, it was not a stinker. It was good. True, there were moments of questionable acting.. plenty of them. But hey, Flicka, you know? I mean, questionable acting is by no means only a Christian street...
But several times, the movie really got my heart. I cried. And I don't cry much. Pretty much anytime I cry, I report it here on the blog. That kinda thing.
But these guys (Baptists) raised 100,000 bucks from their church to shoot this movie with an all-volunteer cast. And it is pretty good. Definitely worth supporting.

In other news, for the first time in a long long time, I have a bathroom in my bedroom. Very handy for the 5 million trips a night (pregnant)... However, not turning the light on at night has re-surfaced one of my great fears... brought to my attention by Dave Barry.... squirrels in the toilet. I kid you not, I think about it every time. You must read. Squirrel in the toilet...

27 comments:

Nate said...

I've been hearing all about that movie. Seems pretty good. But with the majority of the actors being from the church, you can expect some cheesiness.

Another movie that WAS REALLY GOOD. is The Guardian. I was expecting dumbness because of Ashton Kutcher being in it. Now I was dissapointed with premarital fornication and whatnot...but all in all, it was a GREAT movie.

Nathan Remmers in no way condones the liking of movies that include but are not limited to: premarital sex, affairs, or any other gross sexual refrences.

jess said...

Yeah, I want to see that one too....

Josh said...

Great, now we have to add squirrels in the toilet to the list of things to be paranoid about.

Josh said...

Speaking of snakes in toilets, here’s a cruel roommate joke I did.

When I was 18, I had a roommate (who will go unnamed) that was incredible afraid of snakes. I also had a friend who had a very large fake snake that looked very real. I borrowed the snake from the friend and put it in the toilet bowl just before my roommate would be coming home from an overnight 12 hour work shift. He came home, we made some small talk, then headed for the bathroom. I creep up to the door to listen, but I could of heard what happened down the street. He lifted the lid, SCREEMED loud a couple times, and let out a curse word, all while I heard things banging around as he jumped backwards into the towel rack behind him and knocked things off.

After he almost had a heart attack, he figured out it was fake and came out of the bathroom totally fuming mad. It took me 10 minutes to convince him it was a good joke (since me, him, and our other roommate were always pulling things on each other). He finally laughed about it.



Later. . .

Nate said...

well, now I want to know who the roommate was...

BASSicallyN8 said...

The Guardian was ok but Invincible was A LOT better and more inspiring...especially being based on a true story

Nate said...

being a military - especially navy/marine corps/coast guard - buff I enjoyed it a whole stinkin lot

what is invincible about?

jess said...

anybody seen Katwoman? last blog comment September 14th...

jess said...

I am hearing some stuff about Jesus Camp... that the kids and everyone are for real, but the people who edited/directed are mocking-ish... not a good thing

Nate said...

the clarks...or maybe it was lindsey...were saying that Jesus Camp was a very sarcastic view of real christianity. There were making fun of the "extremist" christians

jess said...

You think Kat hijacked an airliner?

Nate said...

so i guess it was the clarks

jess said...

I will probably go see it when it comes to Houston next week... then I will really know. Plugged In is pretty rough on it, but more from a non-Spirit filled viewpoint

Nate said...

from the trailer it seems pretty balanced...

jess said...

Lou is accessible only by dreams... you have to pray for God to tell him to call you back

Nate said...

I read that baptist review of richy's podcast...it was totally wrong. some of the guy's earlier blogs talk about the "objective stance of the holy spirit in the lives of men" WRONG! thats the point, the holy spirit is SUBJECTIVE!

please excuse any inverted use of objective/subjective...

jess said...

I don't know where we're going... I thought it was in 3 theatres in Houston

Beth said...

Invincible was very good.

BASSicallyN8 said...

as far as Jesus Camp...Ted Haggard, a totally great guy who pastors in Colorado Springs (I've heard him several times and been to his church/know several people from his church) actually appeared in the film (interview stlye). I'm not sure if he agreed to be interviewed for the film, or if it is just a clip of some statements he's made. However, he has since spoken out against the project and the slanted portrayal of evangelistic Christians in the film...

Josh said...

I also read the same Ted Haggard thing. Seems like the movie is going to be a little slanted.

Josh said...

As far as the roommate,

Tron- good chance you don’t know them

Jennifer- Sorry, keeping them unnamed

Josh said...

Wow, Plugged-In is really hard on the movie. Gotta take a wait and see approach.

Mama PC said...

WELL, here I Iz...

and there you aint....

Mama PC said...

speaking of fears of something IN something else....

i have a fear of something being in my mailbox. i don't know why... it's usually pitch black out here in the country, and i just plain hate to stick my hand in that mailbox after dark... don't know what type of weirdos who also live out here may have had a prank up their sleeve...

(o no... just realized that i'm setting myself up for some Hernandi prank... oh noooo)

Mama PC said...

i'm going to zzzland

good night everyone...

Josh said...

Good night!

lsat......

Beth said...

frtsi!

good morning bloggies!