Friday, May 05, 2006

get a mac

71 comments:

Josh said...

That’s great, very inventive. I’ll have to watch the rest at lunch of after work.

I actually had to reboot this morning when a program that uses Citrix to connect wouldn’t open. No one else had issues. Reboot and it fixes. GRRRRR!

Ok, work to be done for me too. . . see yas.

Mama PC said...

so, what does the pc brand have to say negative about apple? there's got to be something negative about macs....

macs for artists???
pc for numbers-types????

what's the difference???

no - i DON'T KNOW why or what IPODs are really for. i know it's for carrying music around.... but, WHY do people want to crowd their minds/spirits with SO many songs....

what's an MP3 player???

ok, i know, i'm old...


papa jc is fixin to get a new car (his is about to bite the dust) and it will have an MP3 on board...

jess said...

ehhh... I'll skip the whole debate unless someone is looking to buy a new computer and needs to know why to get a Mac...
otherwise, we all bruthas and sistas

jess said...

and the beauty of MP3s is that they take up a very small amount of space... so you can pack a lot of them on an Ipod, or (sniff) something else...
So it's nice, like say you were driving somewhere 4 hours away. You could hook your mp3 player up and have music of your choice the whole time with no repeats.... niiiiiccccceeee

I think our Ipod has about 1 1/2 days of music stored on it right now.

jess said...

kat
6000 for a PC or the doctor?

Josh said...

1 ½ days of music isn’t very much. We have over a weeks worth on our DJ.

213 albums
2128 tracks
To be exact

I know you have more on there from when Richy and I were comparing about a year ago.

Josh said...

Thanks Matt, I'm getting closer to the edge.

Josh said...

I overstated my DJ tracks. Minus the two audio books that are on it, I have:

203 albums
1983 tracks

Mama PC said...

"213 albums !!!
2128 tracks !!!
To be exact" !!!

Did you PAY for all these albums/tracks/songs? I cannot understand how today's young people can have or afford so much music...

me and my man have very few collections of songs.... in our day, you had to pay big bucks for an album...(when we were young) and significant money for a cassette tape.... and now, cd's are still outrageously high...we don't buy music because we're too busy paying for house and food and bills, etc.

do you all BUY these cd's or whatever or are you downloading them in pirate-style???

not judging, just can't figure out how so many young people can have so much ... this world we live iN IS SO expensive...

but, the pop culture seems to demand that you have all this STUFF and SUCH...

explain, please...

Mama PC said...

so when do "youths" grow out of ipods/mp3/things??? is this like the days years ago when youth had radios and boom boxes and carried them around... but, then, when they get jobs and children, they have to let them go??? but, if the little gadgets are too small and can be just attached to the body, then, it can follow them the rest of their lives!!! What is to become of the NEXT generation???

Mama PC said...

i remember the days when there was only radios at home and in the cars... not even ANY music carried with a person... that was in the 1960's....even in the 1970's...

Then, in the 1980's, the young rowdy urban youth started putting batteries in those boom boxes (huge things) and carried them with them to hip and hop on the streets... that was NEW in the '80's!

Still radios and tape players were in cars and homes...

jess said...

We own most of our music.... think, if we bought a few cd's a month since we were 16... got CD's for Christmas and birthdays and so on... it's really not hard to build a collection.


Now we buy individual tracks on Itunes... a buck per song

Mama PC said...

i guess with the advent of the homeless generation (people who spend more time away from home than home) inventors came up with entertainment forms to keep SPEAKING into their lives...

jess said...

and we hardly ever use the Ipod with headphones... we plug it into speakers or into our car stereo and have a HUGE variety of music....

jess said...

oooh, jD.... yes, big hit with us.
We always buy those for each other's bdays

jess said...

I don't think it's a bad thing, necessarily....
music and art and emotion and musicians...

Josh said...

I have never done any pirating of any music.

Mostly, Shannon and I like very different styles of Christian music before we were married, so we started with a large collection. Then we’ve bought lots since then. With being able to BUY them legally as a download, you get an album for less than $10. It’s a good deal. We use our DJ on road trips in our car stereo and I use it at work when I’m just doing computer work and not on the phone. Very handy for the music lover.

jess said...

Podcasting is a very cool technology

Josh said...

My parents have also started giving me gift cards for the sites I use. I don’t use iTunes.

Very big hits with us too.

Josh said...

When moving from IL to WA, I was able to listen to anything I wanted to without having some big binder of CD’s to flip through. Kept me awake.

Mama PC said...

how much are CD's, though? aren't they like $20!!! that is enough to feed a family 3-4 homecooked meals!!!

we had a hard time buying our children cd's for Christmas because they were just too expensive... it would be a better use of our money to buy them socks and underwear... i remember not having enough money to even go out to eat once per week!

do young families now days just make more money than we did? or, because of the pop culture has it become expected by people under 30 to OWN thousands of songs and hundreds of cd's??? i just can't figure it out?

i guess it's in priorities and pop culture...

jess said...

yup yup Josh.
Now, we have never actually pirated- like Napster or anything....
we have burned other people's CD's onto our computers.... but we aren't cool with that anymore.

I do ocassionally burn songs to see if I would like the album, like a couple songs from Rob's Cd or something. Then if we like it, we buy it legit..

jess said...

CD's at a store are 20 bucks sometimes... but you can buy them online for 15 or less, or download them from Itunes for .99 a song, most CDs have 10-12 songs

Josh said...

When I was driving to Seattle for six weeks, I was downloading a daily Bible reading from the NT, OT, Psalms, and Proverbs, and listening to it on the way to work. That helped cause I was waking up later with having to drive so much so early in the morning.

Also listened to two whole novels on the Revolutionary War. Very Cool.

Mama PC said...

hope you all don't think i'm being critical or judgmental. i'm just probing and trying to figure out what kind of people will be running this country one day when i'm old...

jess said...

I don't know... I think we make more.... definitely spend more.
Of course that depends on where you work.... we don't spend much personally (not much to spend)
But if we have "fun" money, we will generally spend it on music

jess said...

We are definitely a MEDIA generation, MPC....

richy read a study that if the teen generation had to give up TV or the internet, they'd give up TV by a HUGE margin

jess said...

It's got pros and cons, of course.
A major pro is that by doing all this web stuff and technology, we can reach TONS of people.... easily

jess said...

that's awesome, Matt.... Goldusa.com sells our stuff and other worship stuff for 10-15

jess said...

brb

Josh said...

That’s us too. I make more, but we don’t blow our money. We have a virtual $0 entertainment budget. If we spend “fun money” it’s on music. On WalMart.com, you can get a whole album download for $9.99. Half of retail stores.

Mama PC said...

i just made up that "homeless generation" thing.. but, i've seen it more and more over the past 20 years where young people seem to fret and get anxious if they cannot be "on the go"... young mothers, jd, have been trained by society to keep just going and going like the energizer bunny, but there are things that God can accomplish when we just stop and wait.... BE STILL AND KNOW that He is God...


home is a place where you can be quiet
home is a place where you should be still
home is where there doesn't have to be countless hours of sounds and visual images... home is a place where the child's brain needs space to play and create and just "be"... and the adult child needs to walk outside in God's green earth and just let Him love on you by the soft kiss of his breezes or a drop of rain on your nose...

I challenge you and myself to spend more time doing quiet things....meditating...pondering...listening to His quiet still voice...

Wonder what God has been trying to say to us?? to me....

jess said...

Definitely value in quiet, MPC...
of course, around here, even our quiet times are usually musical, you know?
Some of the hardest times for us have been helped by having a continuous flow of worship in the background

Josh said...

Agreed MPC! When I was a teen, I was on the go all the time, but eventually started appreciating just being home for a while. When we’re at home, we don’t have music on much at all. We like it on the quite side most of the time. If I’ve gone days without hearing music, I’ll put some on for a while. I like quite reading, talking, thinking, taking walks and stuff more than 10 years ago for sure.

jess said...

and I know you know, having a house full of musicians, the value of NOT having music sometimes...

Mama PC said...

about money - we make more money than ever before, but still don't go to movies because it's too expensive... but, i see countless people under 30 years GOING to shows and not afraid to pay for it. What do you people eat?

I guess it's what the society has presented... as NORMAL...

I'm just trying to understand the MEDIA culture...

yes, i know it can be used for evangelism..

Mama PC said...

people have been shocked at how little music we have going at our home...

i think this year i shall buy my man a stereo system of sorts... but need advice on what to buy him... we have only 3 OLD BOOM BOXES in our home, and nothing nice to play music ON!

when the time comes to buy something for him, where we can occasionally play music in our living room... i shall ask advice from you all, the MEDIA generation...

:-)

jess said...

well, some people rack up huge credit accounts...

My generation doesn't really (for the most part) Save.
We spend what we make.... at least we did when we worked outside jobs.

So our way, we pay all the bills, buy groceries and then decide what to do if there is anything left.

jess said...

this will be a good group to ask...

Mama PC said...

i love you all...and will continue to age into a gracefull old woman...

and watch you all...

not

far

behind......

:-)

jess said...

and WHEN we save, it's generally toward a goal, and then we empty the savings to pay for *vacation, *carpet, etc...

jess said...

MPC
you are not an old woman.....

jess said...

you even have a myspace :)

Josh said...

I was about to say the same things, Jess.

Most people are in horrible credit card debt. The drive of society makes you think, “can I afford the minimum payment, so I can keep up with the Jones’”

It’s very sad.

Mama PC said...

yes, savings... the older you get, the more you'll realize that one day, no more money will be coming in... (remember, Social Security is fizzling out....) so, who's gonna take care of you when you can no longer work??? so, that is why people must start saving for rainy days AND for their retirement.

we haven't saved much over the years... too poor most of our married lives... but, since 5 years ago, we are attempting to funnel monies into retirement accounts. we've seen too many people with NOTHING to live on and suffering at the time of lives when they should be able to enjoy their grandchildren and give to the younger folks...

Josh said...

Jess- we’re a good group to ask????

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jess said...

about her media system plans

Josh said...

oh. . . yep!

Josh said...

Oh yeah. Remember Daniel’s 30 suggestions of us naming our son Gaylord? Well, I actually talked to an employee named Gaylord a couple days ago. I couldn’t believe that a real person had the name.

Mama PC said...

i know i'm not THAT old yet.. but, i'm older than you and see things from a slightly different perspective.

we were living on little for most of our married years... and truly tried to live within our means... but occasionally tires or auto repairs or dental or medical bills would come up...and we did not have insurance or savings...so we'd have to charge things on credit cards... that's a trap... it's ridiculous what thievery is going on in the credit industry these days! and we're still in bondage... but will be out within a few years!

with my limited ability to make a difference before i got my nursing license, if i worked, it was for chicken feed.... so, we committed to send me to college and now, wallah... i'm able to help with the bills and now we're gonna get out of that big old bad old debt problem!

thankfully, God is blessing us as we continue to place our trust in Jehovah Jireh...(John came from a family with a poverty mentality) so, as we trust in God more and more he is able to show us His love in many more ways...which is even including financially....

so, be careful before going into debt is all this wise old woman says.... it bites you !!!

jess said...

oh yeah, I didn't mean us...
we think credit is the devil
just kidding, but we've been there done that

Mama PC said...

hey, i'm gonna start writing stories from my past on my blog... if anyone would like to read them....

it'll just be a story now and then, and not in any particular rhyme or reason of what story i tell first...

okay... i'm now going to discipline myself to GET OFF THE COMPUTER and get up and make something for dinner....

what shall we have???

Josh said...

Credit card debt is very bad. I’ve said before on here, I know sometimes people “have to” do it. We got only one credit card 3 years ago for air miles and have not paid a penny in interest, just put everything on it for the air miles, then pay it off. We have also done a couple “same as cash” if paid in 6 months or 9 months things for furniture, but only AFTER I did the budget and we knew we’d be able to pay it off and not have interest.

Mama PC said...

anyone who wants to submit a plan to me - i'll accept recommendations of what to buy or assemble for papajc for our anniversary... it'll be a gift for us both...

we need something where we can play our music with good speakers and it could be with speakers in the living room and/or piped into our bedroom...and possibly speakers in the den...

any suggestions, please email me...my name at gmail.com

jess said...

yup

Mama PC said...

did you know that the latin for mortgage = death grip???

mort = death
gage = grip

fyi

Mama PC said...

okay - blinkkk blinkkkk

i'm NOW Susie Homemaker!!!

jess said...

hey, mama!

jess said...

jenn
there are a variety of ipods, different features and prices...
you should check the apple store at the mall

Josh said...

Jennifer- you can get lots of substitutes. depends on how many songs you want him to be able to take with him and how much you want to pay. You could go to Best Buy and have someone help you look at them. i don't know much about the smaller ones.

jess said...

she likes to kill you softly

Josh said...

Word of caution- iPods are the most expensive. I'll played with iPods, my Dell DJ, and a Zinwhatever and they ALL work the exact same, menus are the same, functions, everythings.

If you're trying to spend less, you can get good quality for less. Best Buy will have the most variety.

Josh said...

MamPC- I saw these two articles in the Seattle Times about stuff to do in Seattle. I know you’ll be pretty full with the boat tour, but here’s some ideas if you have time and want to do something. You’ll have to cut and paste the links.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2002970245_seattledayplans07.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2002970242_seattledaylists07.html

Josh said...

I don't know if the whole links showed up. I'll email them to you.

Josh said...

We watched the rest of the "Get a Mac" about an hour ago. Pretty funny, and sadly pretty true.

That was the most time I've ever spent on apple.com. Prior it was ONLY to download Quicktime. I actually looked at the iMacs for 5 minutes. Jess has this waaahaha type grin on her face reading this.

Beth said...

hey look!

i'm stirf!

Mama PC said...

look again....

i'm sceond...

thanks josh for seattle advertiss'ments

Georgia said...

Either I am the only one who is ambicomputerish, or the only one brave up to stand up against the mac onslaught. I am becoming more mac friendly, but coming from someone who does artwork continually on both platforms, I have NEVER had a pc make me as @#$%^^**()&^&$^* mad at Macs do. I HATE that little swirly circle that says Whoops! I dont want to do that! You have done too much! THis is on G5's that I have this problem. I have never had a swirly circle or a complete shutdown on a Dell. The biggest pc problem I have had is viruses, but at least I dont have to wait 10 minutes for the Mac to remember what it is it promised me to do! They say Macs are better for artwork, the only reason I can see that is because they make better monitors, not computers.

Mama PC said...

Go Georgia!!!!!!!!!!

Now, that's coming from someone who has experience and SHOULD be biased toward the Mac with family ties...

Nate said...

Here we go...no one will probably read this, but oh well. First off. Macs: do what PCs do...they just do it RIGHT. Viruses aren't the only problem that PCs have. I have a PC, I'm on it right now, it has tons of problems. TONS!!! How many viruses does it have? Hmm...lets see...ZERO!!!!!!!!! Macs do not get viruses, not because they're the less used computers, its because the operating system is open sourced. Apple, invented a jillion different things that PCs now use. Firewire, WiFi, and I've heard they invented USB. I dont' know for sure though about that last one. Point is, Macs WORK. Pcs...WILL BE SERVICED. I hate to break it to you, but Dells are the worst. They have the worst reputation, and everyone knows them because they advertise and were the first to present the novelty of building a custom PC. The use their fame to sell, they trick little old ladies and non-tech savy people into buying what they think is a good computer. Usually with non-upgradeable, out of date, or expensive super proprietary parts.

Matt was right to a point, Macs are engineered to work right, but they do use components you can aquire at other places.

With the introduction of the Intel Core Duo and Solo processors into the Mac computers, there is no competition. PC's can't keep up. Number crunchers are PC people...everyone else SHOULD use Mac. From everyday computering to high level photo/movie/music production, Macs just work better, because they work right.


Mama PC, my generation is addicted to entertainment. Its as simple as that, and you can get CDs for cheap, just depends on where you go. DON'T BUY FROM CHRISTIAN BOOKSTORES! They have the most ridiculous prices EVER! The same CD I could get at Best Buy for 9.99 is 17+ at the Christian Book Stores.

Ipods: most popular, most inventive, most stylish.

Others: like PC's lots of variety, work all the same, and cost the same.

Good "others": Rio, SanDisk, iRiver...

these and CDs are the ONLY thing I suggest buying @ Best Buy. This is from a former employee that knows the markup they have on their products. DO NOT buy DVDs there(go to Target), DO NOT buy TVs/Stereos/Computers/Cables(for ANYTHING)

Things ok to buy: CDs, MP3 players, Cell Phones, Gum...

DO NOT BUY: the "performance service plan" you won't use it. Well...thats about the end of my rant.