Thursday, February 09, 2006

good ol Saint Valentine

So, Valentine's Day. Do you celebrate? Or do you consider it a
commercialized American ripoff?
Or do you consider a commercialized American ripoff and celebrate
anyway?
What was your favorite Valentines? What do you think is the perfect
gift?
oooooh girly girly la la la

what about you gents? What do you want? (remember we have some junior
bloggers- keep it G rated)

49 comments:

Beth said...

i always try to not focus so much on gifts; we rarely have money for such things, but besides that; i don't want to cheapen our relationship by reducing it to how good a gift i got this year.
we usually just set it aside to spend together; that's the best--and a rare privilege these days.
8)

Anonymous said...

I've always said that gifts are different when you are married. That is MY money also that is buying MY gift. I don't wamt my hubby wasting OUR money even if it is for me. A nice Valentine's Day Card and a chance to get out without the kids is enough for me. (Although a small thing of chocolates would be nice too. But I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy them with six longing eyeballs staring at me.)

jess said...

Daniel
call me

Beth said...

i like the ideas about reaching out to "singles" etc. v day can be pretty depressing for a lot of people.

also, for you moms, my mom started getting me valentine's day presents in highschool--something simple like special pen or a special meal or stationery or whatever.....
they were so simple, but they always meant so much; those are the main ones i remember.
i think every little girl any age would like that, and it would help her to remember that valentine's day doesn't have to be about having a boyfriend.

Beth said...

The legend of the holiday has been based on Saint Valentine. However, scholars are unable to determine exactly who he was. But, the legends grew. One legend of St. Valentine's history is that when Emperor Claudius of Rome outlawed marriage of young males (because single men make better warriors) St. Valentine defied the Emperor and married them secretly (approx. 270 A.D.) A more romantic legend is that when St. Valentine was imprisoned and sentenced to death (for helping prisoners escape the Roman prisons) he fell in love with the daughter of his captor and sent her the first "valentine" as an expression of his love (he supposedly signed it "from your Valentine").

BethC said...

hey
revelation
no pressure of course but....

lauren is single, yes?
daniel is single, yes?

whaallaaa!!!


gotta go "coach"
cya

jess said...

good eye Bether... good eye

jess said...

I'm here

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Angela is sick and will not be at home group tonight. Ricky is out of town.

Do you have a birthday cake for Paul?

Anonymous said...

I picked this picture because now is the time to pray.

jess said...

we never spend much.... (one of us is of the corporate american scheme mindset)
But I must have chocolate.

jess said...

does anybody really get diamonds for V day? I mean maybe an anniversary.... but sheesh

My dad usually gave me a chocolate heart and then ate half of it

jess said...

most of us will be at church this V day anyway.... bring your little Scooby Doo (will ru be my rarentine) cards and pass them out

jess said...

true dat, kat

Beth said...

no no katwoman
i cut and paste

Viking Granny!!!! said...

What is going on Valentines day @ Church?

My favorite Valentine gift used to be when I would get an actual rose bush to plant in my yard.

Valentines day is the best holiday ever, next to the month of March.

March is the best.....

I think that the best gifts have been ones that took alot of thought on the giver and gifts that took action.......

Like , out to dinner and bowling or hand made cards and breakfast in bed and dinner being made for you etc.

Those are the best kind of gifts.

Foot rub, bath drawen, dinner and DISHES done ..

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Hey Peeps,. disk clean, defraging took forever but did the trick.
My gmail is fine.

Yipppeeee

jess said...

kerry kirkwood at CTK
and Radiant
2/14

Beth said...

katwoman

yes, SERVANT#99876543212 is quite a cutie, i must say.
he worked a long time on his post too-to get get it just right 8)

yaay! viking granny's fixed!
vk, if you're on gmail, i need your address

Beth said...

i think spending valentine's day at church is the best!

i knew there had been a change in my husband on our last anniversary when he suggested we go to monday night worship instead of going out to eat

that's the best romantic

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Who is "take a guess"?

Who is VK?

VG treat is right......any time Radiant is playing it is a very awesome treat! Who is VK

I know who VD is ...Valentines Day, but whose address does the clam need?

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4767/1779/1600/bethy%20close%20up.jpg

Beth said...

sorry sorry
vk was supposed to be vg
i got my consonants mixed up
8)

Viking Granny!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Viking Granny!!!! said...

I do not believe in mailboxes so I do not have one.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Sharon, I do not know when Mike/Denise are coming home.

Does anyone else know?

Beth said...

vg
i was talking about your gmail, silly

but i'll catch ya later for it

Viking Granny!!!! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

ok, well it looks like either, we're having a HUGE lag, or everyone's done talking, so i'll go ( have to go back to work anyway ) and i'll catch you beautiful folks later
8)

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

My parents get back on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Or they may get back tomorrow. All I know is that they were to be gone 16 days.

Anonymous said...

Terri,

Did you get my previous blog about tonight?

Josh said...

I would fly to TX to see Kerry Kirkwood on V Day, but since Radiant will be there, forget it! Those guys are all bums.

BethC said...

dingdingdingding
#100

BethC said...

when cravings for sweets hits you, 1. drink water and take a deep breath (after you swallow) and go for a relaxing or brisk walk.
or
2. give in and enjoy

Vday 2/14 memories:
* as long as I lived at home my mom always got me a surprise
*when I was a young mother of 3 sons I had a sweet friend (Marti Cook) bring me roses and a card.

Josh said...

Oh Daniel, please forgive me. I didn’t realize you still played with Radiant. I guess not all of you are bums then.

beebow said...

Hi all. Pat (Don's mom) is napping so I thought I would give you an update. She is having a very hard time swallowing and so she chokes on liquids and foods. She has lost a great deal of weight and today we have spent taking up her clothes so they will fit her again. Please pray for healing and that she will be able to swallow normally. Also, pray that she will give her life to the Lord. Thank you for your prayers. I love you.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

You got it BeeBow....

God is going to use you.

You have such a sweetness about you and He will use that servants heart of yours to reveal Himself to her.

I miss you!

:0)

jess said...

from Julie-
 


And Katwomen.....married or not married, I have always loved to have my feet rubbed.  And when I am pregnant, which has been most of my marriage, Tim rubs them for me more often.  I love it!


 


But on V-day......I got the ultimate man.  Wasted holiday or not, he really loves honoring all the women in his life.  Every year he gets his Mom, Grandma, and Me flowers.  Sometimes he has them delivered, and sometimes, he delivers them.  It is always an awesome holiday for me....I love flowers.  My thought is that people should send flowers as much as they can while they are alive, cause what good are they at my funeral???  I mean I cant enjoy them then.....so send them on!  Tim is fairly good about this, so good that we have an ongoing charge account at a local florist....we are all on a first name basis.  I cant wait til V-day....but this year I might just be in the hospital.  Hopefully that just means more slowers to welcome Jenna?  But, until then....I am still pregnant. 


 


Oh and not really a huge fan of chocolate, except the ocassional turtle or two.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

good marnin

Beth said...

good morning!

weather report:
100% chance of rain today and cool

tonight--clearing with mid 30's

don't forget your umbrella!

and most of all have a blessed day everybody!

8)

BethC said...

lovely rain today
at CHS today and these are quite mature students so far....
thank God

enjoyn the storminess outside and peace inside

Anonymous said...

Terri,

How do you like my rainbow?

BethC said...

can u c my pal, tree?

anybody heard of the company
"Tree of Life";
it's a whole foods/health supplier

BethC said...

palm tree
could be a "pal" tree

Anonymous said...

Terri,

My computer messed up right after my last post. I did get the rainbow from google. I entered "double rainbow". I also thought of searching "waterfall rainbow"

BethC said...

is my pic visible?
am i visible?
please advise

jess said...

not visible..

UPSTAIRS
marnin