Friday, January 27, 2006

something I wrote a while back

there’s a somber sweetness about childhood.

i remember walking barefoot. half painted toenails carefully
navigating over white broken rocks. finding treasures: a red leaf, a
stream running through woods. a trail through trees to my friends
house.

i remember anticipation. always, something coming.

i remember running to the ice cream truck, waiting in line. getting
something, usually red. trying to keep it from running down my arms by
holding it out. tangy cold sweetness. red is the color of childhood.

i remember friendship. closer than sisters for days on end. then the
bitter acrimony of switching sisters. secrets on the playground. songs
sung with what seemed to be great skill.

i remember running. whatever it was, i couldn’t get there fast enough.
running, arms spread out to be a pegasus. running, arms tucked to make
it to base. running, spinning, laughing, falling.

i remember knowing. i’ve forgotten now.

i remember being a daughter. the safety of home.

i remember cats. lazy furry curly cats.

i remember barbie. long blonde hair and carefully painted eyes. ken
was always dutiful and captivated.

i remember boys. the smell of sweat always mixed with crayons and the
sawdust from pencil sharpeners. knowing they were looking and finding
myself talking too loud.

i remember lunches. crisp crackly brown paper bags. peanut butter
sandwiches on white bread.

i remember innocence. believing in a world where evil was only in the
movies, and bad guys always came clean at the end.

i remember thinking that i was the only real thing and everything else
was a dream.

i remember beautiful days, grass and sunshine and puddles.

i remember thinking that in the end, everything would work out fine.

i
was right.

80 comments:

jess said...

KAT
or whoever
the schedule is at
radiantworship.com

Shannon2-24 said...

I want to actively include some child-like feelings/delights/simplicity/secureness into my adult-life.. & let God actively help my heart to grasp/live some aspects that are hard to on my own..

thanks for the reminder, Jessica.

5 days to baby's ultrasound!!

Shannon2-24 said...

Okay, I had to get up & eat breakfast before I finished my full sleep, due to hunger (& that this hunger causes heartbearn).. so back to bed I go.

: ) FriDaY!!

Does anyone else get heartburn when really hungry when pregnant? Does this happen to others? Odd, thought it would only be when full, yet it's when I'm hungry too.

MMM, sleep. bye.

jess said...

I'm here

Anonymous said...

Katwoman,

I'm trying to get you to come play with me and a few friends at Debi Sparks house tomorrow. We are having a Quiet Places party. Your last chance to get clearance items.

Did you hear me?

I said S A L E !!!!

Plua, like I said, we haven't had much fellowship lately. I would love to see you even if you can't buy anything.

Anonymous said...

Terri,

I REALLY like the first part of I Timothy 4:8. Exercise is overrated.

But seeing as he mentions godliness as opposed to bodily exercise, I would assume that means you cannot attain goddliness without spiritual exercise.

Sometimes bodily exercise (as much as it can hurt sometimes) is easier than spiritual exercise.

But I am building my spiritual muscles to combat the true enemies

jess said...

oh that's funny Kat... I thought it might be a kid

jess said...

I wrote it probably a year ago... I was Hannah's secret pal and I made a childhood bag... things that reminded me and put that in, too

jess said...

I think so...

jess said...

hi mama

jess said...

hang on I'll save you

jess said...

I wondered what would have to posess you to send me pictures...

Josh said...

Good writing, Jessica, good memories to remember.

I remember luggie spitting contest, I could send mine what seemed like fifty feet.

jess said...

that's beautiful, Josh.

Josh said...

No need to clear a picture, just clear your throat.

Josh said...

I also remember spitting them on the ceiling of the carports at Bellshire apartments and watching them hang like stalagmites.

jess said...

love is....
smooching someone with morning breath

Josh said...

Hey cool, I was about to say: Love is kissing your wife when you leave for work, even though she may have morning breath. Just hold your breath, it’s worth it!

Josh said...

Love is speaking well of you spouse when they aren’t around.
Love is a warm hug when you’re bummed or sad about something.
Love is being content to stay home and hang out together when you really want to go out, but your spouse doesn’t.
Love is offering to change the diaper (must remember this in 3 months).

Shannon2-24 said...

Good topic, Terri- : )

Josh's last one had 4 of the 5 love languages:
1. Words of Affirmation
2. Receiving Gifts
3. Quality Time
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch


***

Love is keeping small promises (calling when we said we would, etc)

Love is not making big, important decisions without our spouse

Love is asking how someone's pain or owie that we know of is feeling/doing (Josh just aced that one while we were on the phone a minute ago)

Love is peeling Josh's orange for him ; D

Love is getting Josh's drink that he left on the counter after we've sat down to eat

Love is letting the other listen to the song they want, even if it isn't really what we feel like (except in certain situations or moods)

Love is keeping our cell phones charged so that loved ones can reach us

Love is spending time playing/bonding/reading with my future baby instead of keeping my house perfectly perfect all the time

Love is greeting family & friends when they arrive, with genuine excitement & appreciation (& sometimes a wonderful kiss!.. with clean, FRESH breath)

"Shower the people you love with looove, show them the way you feeel.."

Shannon2-24 said...

*correction*

well, with my baby in the future, my baby is a baby right NOW

~off to my fun pregnancy exercise-- swimming!!

bye

Josh said...

Love is taking Josh out to eat at Chili’s the next time he’s in TX. = )

Josh said...

don’t think Chili’s would be to gracious if I stole their sink spikit (sp?).

Josh said...

I know what a tab is, I've picked them up many times. Kat and I are asking how you pick up the tap, as you said you did at Chili's.

Josh said...

Oh this is so funny! Terri, you had a typo. You wrote that you picked up the taP, not the taB. Look at above.

How does one pick up the taP?

Josh said...

From Terri: Love is not picking on someone for an honest mistake.

Josh said...

One that Shannon wrote is pretty funny. I pour my drink for a meal, put the bottle or carton back in the fridge, then go sit down and leave the drink on the counter where I poured it. I get to the table and Shannon goes, “where’s your drink?”. I’m like, “Ugh, not again!” Now, it would be understandable if this happened once or twice, but I do it all the time, like sometimes once or twice A WEEK. I guess my mind jumps to thinking about something else before I’m done getting my drink.

Josh said...

Terri, come baaaacccckkkkk!

Josh said...

Welp, I’m outta here. Hope everyone has a great weekend. We’ll be moving tomorrow, and won’t have internet at home again until Monday afternoon. We can’t get our current DSL service at our new place, so we’re getting high speed cable internet, but in won’t be up till Monday.

Blessings!

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Love is rubbing the feet of your spouse even if they are stinky.....

Love is going to a Quilting show just because your wife loves quilts.

Love is walking in the rain and just being so happy that you are together, that the rain is fun.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

What is the webaddress for Mercy Christian Fellowship?

Need to adopt a little girl.

HELP....I cant remember the address of the Church website.

Georgia said...

I think this one is really funny. Shannon wrote;
Shower the people you love with looove, show them the way you feeel.."

So In the next comment Terri wrote;

LOVE IS....seeing someone as they "will be".. instead of.. how they are "now"

Well, since I was reading through real fast I read Shannon's comment wrong and I thought she said
" Shower with the people you love"
Then Terri
seeing someone as they "will be".. instead of.. how they are "now"

I thought this was most appropriate cause if you shower with the people you love, sometimes you DO need to see them as they will be and not how they are now.


This is what happens if you read through too fast.

I thought Shannon wanted to shower with all of us.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Man, I found it.......cool.

mercychristianfellowship.com

how simple is that.

Georgia said...

Are you adopting a girl?

Georgia said...

Jess,
That is so beautiful what you wrote.
You have always seen life so happily. It takes much more effort for me.

They say that is because I grew up in the 70's with watergate and the 80's televangelists and such things that cause people to lack trust in authority.

Georgia said...

I have a poem that Claudia gave Layla about optimism. The kids make fun of me and say that it is me.

jess said...

layla.... not a pessimist, she says.... a realist

Georgia said...

HA! I could not live with that kind of realism.

Here it is

The Optimist

The Optimist fell ten stories
At each window bar
He shouted to his friends
"All right so far"

Georgia said...

I had lunch with Beth at Pappasitos.

I am still so stuffed.

jess said...

mmmmmm
did you have Fajitas?

Georgia said...

No we both had enchiladas
I wanted some flan, but I was so full I couldnt get any.

Georgia said...

She was talking about her palm manual>
She is so grateful to have it back

Georgia said...

We must write a book for Kai.

Georgia said...

How about Kai wants to be like uncle Calvin, a rockstar? Like we talked about for Nini.

jess said...

i know... poor baby

Georgia said...

Hey, what about a rewrite of Calvin's hit " a wonderful life" from Kai's perspective or something like that.

Georgia said...

Shannon.
I am so glad you dont want to shower with us (re: earlier posts)

Shannon2-24 said...

Hi Eva,
Here it is:

http://mercychristianfellowship.com

love ya!

Shannon2-24 said...

Oops, you can obviously tell that I hadn't refreshed in the last 25 minutes. hee hee

Josh said...

That's funny Georgia, about the showering thing.

Bye, work to be done.

Georgia said...

No matter how hard I try I cant get lyrics for Pale.

Georgia said...

You would think I had connections. But no....

Georgia said...

I think pam keeps the blog going at night. I guess she is at that concert she said she was going to tonight.

Ok, If there was a movie for Princess Di, who would they get to play her?

jess said...

you're probably gone... but maybe Meg Ryan??

Georgia said...

We thought of her, but who would take her seriously?

Charlize Theron?, maybe?

Georgia said...

LSat! I think, Goodnight bloggers.

Mama PC said...

gerogia?

Mama PC said...

aah said, aah said, boy... Georgia???

Mama PC said...

LITTLE GIRL-HOOD

dressed like your sisters, twirling skirts and bobby-socks with lace on the edges
dresses made lovingly from the
same fabric, fashioned by hands of love
black patent-leather shoes with little metal taps on the toes
tap a tap tap
tap a tap tap tap tap
i'm a dancer, i'm a ballerina
i can fly, no matter what anybody else says
i can fly
I’m an airplane, I’m a balloon
I’m going to places only I can travel to
far far away
far far away
away from same-old same-old land
far away to never-never land
where princes rescue damsels in distress from fiery dragons
and kiss them on the mouth with eye of love
taking them far away to never-never land
together and away
together and away

boys were always there to chase and taunt
all around the playground to pretend to place you in jail
place you in jail, place you in jail
but in the end they put their arms around you and held you tight until you weren’t sure if you ever wanted to be free again

friends and sisters
thick as honey
fight like cats
separate and return again
seasons, reasons, rhyme
rhythms, chorus, time

mamas, grannies, aunts and cousins
tickle your ears with long fingernails
or dandelions
stories or secrets
forming ideas and traditions that one day find themselves weaving themselves right back around your own little daughters until a gigantic web of love is woven and no one remembers who’s the girl and who’s the woman...... friends and sisters through the ages where the dancers continue the dance of little-girl-hood until they end up on a cloud of glory forevermore free to BE.

Mama PC said...

lay those golden, cherub curls on your soft pillow and be cradled to sleep in the arms of your heavenly Father who loves you so much that He squeezes the guts out of you!!!

Josh said...

Hiiiiiiiii-YA!

The Lsat Bandito strikes again.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Josh said...

Not so fast PC.

Josh said...

That was after you, and now it's before you.

I AM LSAT!

Josh said...

Grrrrrrrr!

Mama PC said...

smiles from me to you...


l
s
a
t

Josh said...

Roar!

Josh said...

Roar!

Mama PC said...

l

s

a

t

!
!
!

Josh said...

Blogger be funky, all them roars was after you.

Mama PC said...

L

A

S

T

:)

Mama PC said...

f r i s t


>>> ?

Mama PC said...

.

Josh said...

I have been beaten again. I will now retire to bed. We just had a late dinner from Wendy’s, after getting back from cleaning at the duplex. Need by handsomety sleep, much work to do tomorrow.

Good night.

Mama PC said...

wish you all the best.....

make sure shannon drinks plensty of H2O during the move...

and rests a lot

love and hugs

C-ville

Josh said...

I just saw that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born on Jan. 26, 1756, in case you wanted to know.

GOOD NIGHT, must peal away from computer. . . must sleep. . .

Viking Granny!!!! said...

I have been to sleep and woken up.

I think that qualifies for Fsirt or frist or FIRST!

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Is today the great "NAIL" day?

Has it been rescheduled?

Is everyone sleeping in just because it is Saturday?

Does ANYONE like answering 50 questions first thing in the morning?

NO

Where is Julie?

Did I miss something, just because I have to work?

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Okee Dokee

The world is in slumber.

Isaiah 58:13-14

O my goodness.

If because it is the Lords day you keep from your own pleasures and seek Him all day and have fun doing it, and don't open your mouth and build yourself up, He will bless you and you will ride on the heights of the earth.

Woooe

God is so COOL!

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Today is Toby's birthday!

Wow, already one month old.

Viking Granny!!!! said...

Jimeny Cricket Jessica,

I know that you are just waiting for me and Knock Knock to go on our walk so that you can post upstairs.

GEEE WHIZ